Can we speak honestly about your closet? It’s keeping secrets.
What secrets? Well, the first is one you actually know. Everyone knows …
#1: You probably don’t really need more closet space. You need less stuff.
No storage system can overcome having too much stuff, so …
#2: The healthiest way to think about your closet is not as a storage shed but rather as a temporary staging area for frequently used items
If you’re already struggling with space issues …
#3: Walk-in closets are the most luxurious but most inefficient closets. Reach-in closets are the most space efficient.
If you’re tempted to go all in on an elaborate closet configuration …
#4: Life changes, so should your closet.
Beware of “custom closet” companies …
#5: Don’t pay cabinet level prices for closet materials you wouldn’t want in your kitchen.
How to achieve a truly custom closet …
#6: Call your finish carpenter, cabinet maker, or use a truly modular system (ie: Elfa from The Container Store)
More secrets to trick yourself into purging …
- Add one, toss two
- Does it bring you joy?The Marie Condo system (Con Marie).
- Wear it, turn it, wait 6 months.
- min depth 24”
- rod at 11-12”
- Hangers typically 18”, xxl are 20”
- rods at:
- long hang: 68” long coats and dresses
- med hang: 56” long skirts, shorter dresses, jackets, cuff hung pants
- double hang: 42” and 84”
- blouses and shirts require 1” rod space
- pants and skirts - 1.5” rod space
- jackets and suits - 2-3” rod space
- shelves for clothes should be 12” apart
- shoe shelves 6-7” apart
- walk-in closet should be 5’ wide for single or L side and 7’ for double or horseshoe