The last surviving WWII veteran to receive the Medal of Honor has died at the age of 98.
- Hershel 'Woody' Williams died Wednesday morning in his home state of West Virginia, surrounded by family.
- In 1945 at the age of 22, Williams took out multiple Japanese machine gun positions at the Battle of Iwo Jima. His heroics earned him the Medal of Honor from President Harry S. Truman.
- After the war, Williams continued to serve in the Marines for 20 years, then spent 33 years working for the Veterans Administration.
- In recent years, both a Navy sea vessel and the Huntington VA medical center were named after Williams.
- Were there any WWII veterans in your family? What kind of stories did they tell?