Will Smith posted on his Instagram account an apology to Chris Rock and others -
"Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.
I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.
I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us."
I am a work in progress.
Sunday nights Academy Awards drew a bigger audience than last year's show but the show was still below years past.
- Viewership was up 56% from last year.
- The show drew 15.36 million viewers and a 3.2 rating with adults 18-49 years old.
- This number does not include out-of-home viewing numbers. Those numbers will be added in on Tuesday.
- Last year's show had an all-time low of 10.4 million viewers and a 2.12 rating.
- Prior to the incident between Will Smith and Chris Rock, how did you feel the show was going?