Although their children are grown up, Joe and Jill Biden aren't the only members of their family who moved into the White House on Wednesday.
- Major and Champ, the Biden's pet German Shepherds, have joined their owners in their Washington digs. That's not to say the arrival of the presidential pooches was unexpected; Biden was using the canines as a campaign tool as long ago as October, when he tweeted, "Some Americans celebrate National Cat Day, some celebrate National Dog Day. President Trump celebrates neither. It says a lot. It’s time we put a pet back in the White House."
- The arrival of Major and Champ doesn't mark the first time pets have roamed the halls of the White House.
- The tradition dates back to George Washington, who owned seven dogs.
- Their names: Sweet Lips, Venus, Trulove, Taster, Tippler, Drunkard and Madame Moose.
- At least 29 U.S. presidents have been pet owners, historians say.
Photo Credit: Getty Images