Grilled Cheese is arguably the best comfort food in the world. A lot of people zhuzh up their sandwich by pairing it with a nice tomato soup which isn't a bad deal. Did you ever consider adding corn? Nancy Silverton's LA restaurant upgraded their grilled cheese by filling it with charred sweet corn-studded blend of nutty English cheddar, sharp caciocavallo, and just enough mayonnaise to bind it together. Food and Wine has an amazing recipe.
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 3 ounces English-style cheddar cheese (such as Keen’s), shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 ounce caciocavallo cheese or provolone cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 medium-size jarred Calabrian chile, stemmed and finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3 ounces), softened
- 12 (1/3-inch-thick) sourdough bread slices
The directions are on Food and Wine but feel free to make it your own!