If you stick a frog in hot water the frog will jump out. If you put a frog in room temperature water and slowly turn up the heat until the water is boiling, the frog will stay until it dies. The frog does not realize the water is slowly getting hotter. The same is true of toxic relationships sometimes. You can be in the very middle of a toxic situation and have no idea.
Here are signs you may be in a toxic situation.
- Your needs aren’t being met- In a healthy relationship a partner pays attention to your needs and ensures they are met or you ensure they are met while in the relationship. In a toxic relationship needs are seldom met.
- You’re always in the wrong- Toxic relationships are often filled with frequent disagreement. How you handle a disagreement is indicitive of the health of your relationship. In a toxic relationship you might notice that you face constant criticism from the other person, and that they’re frequently negative or act hostile towards you.
- You don’t feel like their equal- One of the most important aspects of a healthy, thriving relationship is respect. And respect is at the cornerstone of treating your partner as an equal.
- You feel like you can’t rely on them- If your person is constantly letting you down or breaking promises it can lead to toxic behaviors.
- You rarely discuss the future- Talks of the future ending in fights is a red flag. In healthy partner relationships, it’s important to be able to openly communicate your needs and expectations for the future of your relationship.
- Your relationship doesn’t make you happy- Healthy relationships make you feel just that –- happy, content, and fulfilled with the other person. If your relationship makes you unhappy, or even depressed or anxious, it may be a sign that you’re in an unhealthy relationship.
For more information checkout Psych Central