Mandatory evacuations have been ordered after a brush fire erupted in Simi Valley Wednesday morning amid high winds and 'extreme red flag conditions.'
The 'Easy Fire' was reported just after 6 a.m. in the 200 block of West Los Angeles Avenue the Ventura County Fire Department said. The fire appeared to threaten several homes in a nearby residential neighborhood, prompting mandatory evacuations for residents in the area. At least one home has been burned, but there have been no reports of any injuries. The fire has burned about 1,650 acres and is five percent contained as of 10 a.m. on Wednesday. Up to 7,000 homes are under threat from the flames and two structures have been destroyed, fire officials said.
Fire officials say the blaze is heading in the direction of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and that fire crews are working to set up structure protection lines to keep homes and the Reagan Library from igniting.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.
Southern California Edison cut power to around 40,000 customers in L.A. County, Ventura County and the Inland Empire as part of a public power safety shutoff ahead of the high winds and extreme Red Flag Warning.
Easy Fire Mandatory Evacuations
The following areas were included in the mandatory evacuations:
Simi Valley / Unincorporated Simi Valley / Moorpark / Thousand Oaks
- North: Highway 118
- South: Olsen / Madera Street
- East: Madera Street
- West: Highway 23
A shelter has been opened for residents who have been evacuated at the Thousand Oaks Community Center located at 2525 N. Moorpark Rd, in Thousand Oaks.
- Thousand Oaks Community Center - 2525 N. Moorpark Road, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Rancho Santa Susana Community Center - 5005 E Los Angeles Ave. Simi Valley, CA
Large Animal Evacuations
- Ventura County Fairgrounds is FULL and not accepting any more large animals.
- LA Pierce College is FULL and not accepting any more large animals.
- Rancho Potrero Equestrian Center is FULL and not accepting any more large animals.
- Earl Warren Showgrounds - 3400 Calle Real, Santa Barbara, CA
Small Animal Evacuations
- Camarillo Adoption Center - 600 Aviation Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010
- SR-23 between Avenida de los Arboles and 118 Interchange
- SR-23 Southbound at New Los Angeles Avenue
All schools in the Simi Valley and Moorpark Unified School Districts have been closed Wednesday.
- ACCESS School (Moorpark)
- ACE Charter High School (Camarillo)
- Bridges Charter School (Thousand Oaks)
- Briggs School District
- CAPE Charter School (Camarillo)
- Conejo Valley Unified School District
- Fillmore Unified School District
- Las Virgenes Unified School District
- Moorpark Unified School District
- Mupu School District
- Phoenix Los Nogales School (Camarillo)
- Pleasant Valley School District
- River Oaks Charter School Resource Centers in Oxnard and Westlake Village
- Santa Clara Elementary School District
- Santa Paula Unified School District
- Santa Rosa Technology Magnet School (Camarillo)
- Simi Valley Unified School District
- Somis Union School District
- Triggs School (Thousand Oaks)
- University Preparation Charter School (Camarillo)
- VCOE Career Education Center in Moorpark
- VCOE Special Education Classrooms at La Mariposa Elementary School, Las Colinas Elementary School and the Pleasant Valley Early Childhood Center
- Vista Real Charter High School, Simi Valley Resource Center
- Moorpark College
- California Lutheran University
- California State University Channel Islands
- Oxnard College
- Ventura College
Firefighters are responding to a new fire along the 118 Freeway near Yosetmite. It's only about 1 acre at the moment, but several homes are under threat. No mandatory evacuations have been ordered as of 1:30 p.m.
A fourth fire broke out Wednesday morning around 10 a.m. near Granite Hill Drive and Pyrite St. in Riverside County. Fire officials say the fire has consumed at least 628 acres and is currently 30% percent contained.
- As of 6:45 p.m. all evacuations are now lifted.
- Highway 60 is closed in both directions in the area.
- Patriot High School - 4355 Camino Real, Jurupa Valley 92509.
Firefighters say forward progress of the fire burning in Diamond Bar has been stopped at 16 acres. Fire crews will remain on scene to douse hot spots and mop up any remaining issues.
A small brush fire has broken out near the 101 Freeway and Mureau Rd in Calabasas. The Los Angeles County Fire Department says at least 10 acres have been charred in medium brush, however all forward progress of the fire has been stopped and it is contained as of 12:30 pm.
The Getty Fire
Meanwhile, firefighters in Los Angeles made 'great progress' in their battle with the #GettyFire, increasing containment lines and extinguishing hot spots. The Getty Fire, which began shortly after 1:30 a.m. Monday by a witness who called the California Highway Patrol after seeing flames on a hillside close to the 405 Freeway near the Getty Center. The fire has burned 745 aces and was 39% contained as of 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Fire officials revealed on Tuesday that high winds had knocked a tree branch on some power lines, which was responsible for sparking the blaze.
Another 'Extreme Red Flag Warning' was in effect through 11 pm Wednesday evening. Nearly 1,200 firefighters have been assigned to the brushfire.
“Adverse weather conditions will be the biggest challenge for firefighters,” Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman Margaret Stewart said. “In anticipation of the extreme Santa Ana wind event, the LAFD has recalled and staffed additional resources for any emergency that may arise over the next 24 hours. These resources will be strategically placed in key locations that have a history of being prone to wildfire.”
All Mandatory Evacuation orders and Warnings are lifted with the exception of the areas between:
- 1) West border: Kenter Ave
- 2) South border: Sunset Blvd
- 3) North border: Area just south of Mountaingate Dr
- 4) East border: Area adjacent to 405 FWY and Sepulveda Blvd.
- 405 Freeway is open in both directions. Sepulveda Boulevard northbound is open to all traffic. Sepulveda Boulevard southbound from Skirball Center Drive to Sunset Boulevard is presently open to residents with I.D. only.
Small animals also welcome
- Westwood Recreation Center at 1350 S. Sepulveda Blvd., near Wilshire Boulevard,
- Palisades Recreation Center, 851 Alma Real Drive.
Evacuation centers for small animals and pets
- West Valley Animal Shelter at 20655 Plummer St.,
- West Los Angeles Animal Shelter at 11361 Pico Blvd.
- Hansen Dam Recreation Center at 11770 Foothill Blvd. in Lake View Terrace
- Brentwood Elementary
- Canyon Elementary
- Community Magnet
- Discovery Charter Prep
- Kenter Canyon Elementary
- Marquez Elementary
- Palisades Elementary
- Palisades Charter High School
- Revere Middle School
- Roscomare Elementary
- Topanga Elementary
- Warner Elementary
A small fire burned about five acres near a small neighborhood in Perris. At least 3 outbuildings and another 2 cars were destroyed by the blaze. No homes were burned in the fire.
Photo: Getty Images