LOS ANGELES (CNS) - The Los Angeles Dodgers announced today they will extend the netting at Dodger Stadium after a study is completed about how it could be configured to provide better protection for fans.
“Fan safety is of the utmost importance to the Dodgers and during the offseason, we began the process of studying how the netting at Dodger Stadium could be configured to provide better protection for our fans,” the statement said.
“Once this study is completed, the team will implement the recommended changes and extend the netting at Dodger Stadium. The team will provide more information on the project timeline and scope when available.”
The announcement came one day after a 13-year-old fan was struck in the head by a foul ball at Dodger Stadium.
Kaitlyn Salazar was taken to a hospital where doctors determined she had suffered a concussion, her mother, Roxie Salazar, told KCAL9.
Kaitlyn told KCAL9 she had taken a few steps toward a restroom from her seat in the fourth row behind the visiting team dugout down the first base line, just past the protective netting, when she was hit by a foul ball off the bat of Cody Bellinger in the first inning of Sunday's 6-3 victory over the Colorado Rockies “and I fell on top of my dad.”
“You know in movies when a bomb goes off and you hear ringing and the room gets black and everything sounds muffled? Yeah, that,” Kaitlyn told KCAL9.
Two fans at Dodger Stadium had been killed by foul balls, 79-year-old Linda Goldbloom last season and 14-year-old Alan Fish in 1970.
Photo: Getty Images