Son of Angels Baseball Star Found Dead in Irvine

CSI: Coroner

Photo: Getty Images

IRVINE (CNS) - Former Angels baseball star Doug DeCinces' son, who was recently released from jail in an assault and drug case, was found dead this week in Irvine, a sheriff's spokesman confirmed Wednesday.

Timothy Douglas DeCinces, 48, was found Tuesday in a residence in Irvine, according to Orange County sheriff's Sgt. Michael Woodroof. The cause of death is pending toxicology tests, Woodroof said.

DeCinces pleaded guilty Dec. 30 to assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, battery with serious bodily injury, criminal threats, possession of a controlled substance with the intent to sell and bribery of a witness, all felonies.

He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor counts of solicitation of prostitution, four counts of possession of a controlled substance, two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, and bribery of a witness. In addition, he admitted sentencing enhancements for committing an offense while out on bail, and inflicting great bodily injury on a victim.

DeCinces accepted a plea deal from Orange County Superior Court Judge Andre Manssourian and was given 504 days in jail -- time he had already spent behind bars -- and he was released from custody.

Deputy District Attorney William Ha had recommended a sentence of four years in prison. He wrote in a sentencing brief that DeCinces called an escort to his home on Sept. 19, 2019, and the two "engaged in sex acts and consumed alcohol and drugs together."

"Later in the evening, a second escort arrived at defendant's residence," Ha said. "The defendant's demeanor changed towards the end of the night and he demanded that the victim leave."

When the woman demanded more money, it triggered a dispute that led to the defendant grabbing the victim and trying to drag her up the stairs, Ha said.

"The defendant began to strike the victim on the stairs, hitting her in the face, back and vaginal areas," Ha said. "While striking the victim the defendant threatened to kill her."

The woman left the home and received treatment at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian for sinus and orbital fractures, Ha said.

When police later tried to serve a search warrant at his home, they found him with two escorts "and his 6-year-old daughter. Near the entry of the defendant's residence officers located methamphetamine, cocaine and (drug) paraphernalia," Ha said.

One of the escorts told police DeCinces asked her to tell police the earlier escort fell down and hurt herself in exchange for money, Ha said.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content