LOS ANGELES (CNS) - An electrical fire burned through the roof of a historic house in the South Los Angeles area Friday, but no one was hurt.
Firefighters were sent to the 200 block of East 29th Street, in the Historic South Central neighborhood, east of USC, at 11:15 a.m., said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The roof of the building collapsed, and the firefighters went into a defensive operation, working to extinguish the flames and prevent them from spreading to other structures, Humphrey said.
The flames were extinguished in less than two hours, he said.
Humphrey said the 1,454-square-foot single-story home was built in 1910.
LAFD officials said the fire's cause "has been determined to be electrical in nature."
Fire crews were expected to remain on the scene for several hours conducting salvage operations.
The American Red Cross was called in to assist the family displaced by the blaze -- four adults and one child.