Four people were taken to the hospital on Tuesday after a battery caught fire on a United Airlines flight, authorities say.
- The incident occurred on a flight from San Diego to Newark when the battery, which was located in a seat back pocket in first class, burst into flames, a United spokesperson says. Members of the crew "prevented the fire from spreading" by placing the battery in a thermal containment bag, the spokesperson says.
After the flight turned around and returned to San Diego, four flight attendants were taken to a local hospital to be evaluated, the airline reports. Two passengers were checked out by paramedics at the scene, per United officials