LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Police stepped up their presence on Southland transit lines and stations today in response to a shooting at a New York subway station that left at least 16 people injured.
``We're in contact with our local, state and federal partners, and as always, providing high visibility patrols throughout the city, including bus and rail stations,'' Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore said in a statement.
Moore, appearing on KNX Newsradio Tuesday morning, stressed there was no indication of any local threat to transit lines, but said police were increasing their visibility as a precautionary step, noting there is always a threat of a ``copycat'' assailant when such high-profile crimes occur elsewhere.
He said transit riders will likely see additional uniformed officers and canine units.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said his thoughts and prayers are with those injured during the shooting at the New York subway station.
``@LASDHQ offers our deepest condolences to the families touched by tragedy of this senseless shooting while reaffirming our commitment to protect our residents,'' Villanueva posted on social media.
Dave Sotero, the communications manager for L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, said the agency is aware of the shooting and officials were meeting to discuss possible safety measures.
The Long Beach Police Department tweeted, ``We are aware of a shooting incident in a Brooklyn Substation from earlier this morning. At this time, there are no known threats to the City of Long Beach, however out of an abundance of caution, we will be providing increased patrols throughout the city.''
At least 16 people were shot or injured when a suspected lone gunman in a vest and possibly wearing a gas mask threw smoke bombs on a subway car in Brooklyn and began shooting Tuesday morning. The suspect remained at large.