Most hope that they’ll be surrounded by loved ones when they pass away. Well one man in Maryland was found dead in his home surrounded by over 100 venomous and nonvenomous snakes, said officials on Thursday.
A neighbor reported that he saw the man lying on the floor unconscious after he went to check on him, after having not seen him for more than a day.
After police responded to the 49-year-old man’s home, EMS and fire officials forced their way through the front door of the home where they pronounced the man dead at the scene, said the Charles County Sheriff’s Department in a statement. They said there was no evidence of foul play.
The man’s body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy, and his identity remains to be revealed.
Police discovered over 100 snakes of several different varieties inside of the home, which the man’s neighbors were unaware of. Charles County Animal Control was working to rescue the reptiles with experts from North Carolina and Virginia, said police.
Jennifer Harris, a spokesperson for Charles County Animal Control, told WUSA9 that the department had “tagged and bagged” over 125 snakes and assured the man’s neighbors that they have nothing to be concerned about.
“I do want to assure the community, [and] anybody living in this neighborhood, we have not seen that any of the snakes were not properly secured or could have escaped,” she told the outlet. “I know people were worried that there could be some danger to people living nearby, but at this point, we have not uncovered or determined that any of the snakes actually were not secured after this gentleman’s death.”
The biggest snake in the home? A 14-foot Burmese python! No big deal.
Harris said it was the biggest collection of snakes in the county’s animal control history.
Indy said it best: “Snakes? Why’d it have to be snakes?”