Changes have been made to certain area codes nationwide. It's just adding a "1" so I think we got this.
Here is So CA. if your phone number starts with 562, 626, 949, or 951, you will have to dial the full 10-digits to make a call, even if you are calling someone within your own area code.
This new FCC change will impact Southern California area codes, including:
- 562 - covers Long Beach and much of the surrounding cities
- 626 - covers Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley
- 949 - in Irvine and most of South Orange County
- 951 - Western Riverside County
Nationwide 82 area codes were affected:
- 925 in Northern California
These specific area codes have working 988 prefix phone numbers and were directly impacted.
10-digit dialing for all local calls made from mobile phones, as well as 11-digit local dialing from landlines and wirelines will be necessary...According to Long Beach officials.
These changes will affect
- Alarm systems
- Fax machines
- Medical monitoring devices
- Devices that call out
***911 will still connect callers to emergency services.
988 dialing short cut will not take effect nationwide until July 16, 2022. Although adding (1) is in effect at this moment.
Photo Credit: Getty Images