Tesla Car Battery Caused Devastating House Fire

Tesla Model X 90D electric luxury high tech interior

Photo: Getty Images

A Tesla burst into flames in a couples garage and as a result a couple was burned out of their home. The couple wants answers and so far they haven't gotten any.

According to ABC7 The Vindums woke their neighbors at 5:30a.m. The roar of the flames could be heard as well as a loud exploding sound followed by screams of "The house is on fire!"

The couple escaped out of the back of the house from their downstairs bedroom. Yogi Vindum managed to shoot video with his phone despite being in shock. A few short minutes later he had gone back in to the home to locate his wife, but the intense flames and thick smoke forced him out. Luckily he spotted his wife safe and sound shortly after.

"As soon as I saw flames outside, I knew it was in the garage. You can see flames coming from both cars...and when I saw my phone later that the charging had been interrupted not completed. The first message said: charging interrupted at 5:25a.m. with battery at 180 miles. The second message said: car alarm has been triggered."

Both Teslas were destroyed in the garage. The San Roman Valley Fire Department narrowed the cause down to either the 2013 Tesla battery or the vehicle's electrical system. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an investigation into batteries used in the 2012 and 2019 Models S and X. That investigation began almost 2 years ago and is ongoing . The agency says it does not comment on ongoing investigations.

"Frankly disappointed that we have not been told why it happened and what Tesla is doing to make sure it doesn't happen again." said Yogi.

His insurance company, Liberty Mutual, has taken over the investigation from San Ramon Valley Fire. No comment from them either.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content