Taqueando is the all you can eat taco tasting festival featuring traditional and innovative chefs from Southern California, Mexico, and all around the world. Last year this event was held in the heart of Downtown LA, but this year things have changed just a little. Taqueando's organizers are keeping the spirit of the event alive with Taqueando at Home, a virtual event with a takeout box curated by Bill Esparza (a James Beard Award winner in journalism for his coverage of the Los Angeles taco scene). Here’s what to expect:
- FOOD: Taqueando at Home Party Boxes can be pre-ordered & picked-up the day before the event (12/28) from 1850 Industrial St. in DTLA (former Church & State space) from 10AM - 10PM. Food will include: a birria taco from Tuetano Taqueria; an Impossible taco from Chicas Tacos; two tamales (one savory, one sweet) from Tamales Elena y Antojitos; ceviche de pescado from La Guerrerense; a chicharron burrito from Mujer Divina; and homemade salsa from La Casita Mexicana.
- DRINK: a boozy Taqueando at Home Party Box will include all the aforementioned food, plus a tequila cocktail from Madre; mezcal from El Silencio; beers from Tecate; and a Michelada kit from Salsa Sinaloa.
- THE LIVESTREAM: Hosted by Bill Esparza, the Taqueando at Home will stream on 12/29 at 12PM on www.TaqueandoFest.com. During the hour-long festivities, participants will hear from chefs such as Enrique Olvera, Wes Avila, Raul Ortega of Mariscos Jalisco; watch cooking demos from the likes of La Guerrerense and La Casita Mexicana; and enjoy cocktail demos/tastings from Madre and El Silencio, amongst other activities.
- CHARITY BENEFACTOR: A portion of proceeds from Party Box sales will go toward CIELO, an indigenous women-led non-profit that works with indigenous communities in LA, and works to end gender-based violence, provide language access rights, foster cultural preservation, and fight for reproductive justice.
- TO PURCHASE: head to www.TaqueandoFest.com to pre-order boxes.
Chicas Tacos was born in the streets of Los Angeles in 2016 while searching for fresh, healthy versions of the Southern California street tacos we grew up with and love so much. At Chicas, it’s about more than great food and great hospitality. It’s about honoring the taqueros and chefs who came before them. The Co-founder of Chris Blanchard joins Mark Thompons to talk about this delicious event.