Photo: Getty Images
Despite a resurgence of COVID-19 cases in the U.S., Church Hill Downs officials have announced they plan on hosting September's Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby with spectators in the stands.
Making the announcement on Thursday, Churchill Downs President Kevin Flanery said the decision was made after getting the OK from Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear. However, hee did not say how many fans will be allowed in the stadium.
"You know, I’m not worried about the number at this point," Flanery told reporters. "What I’m worried about is that we’ve got good protocols in place and we are talking with our guests."
The races, which had been originally scheduled to be held the first week of May, were pushed back to September 4th and 5th because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“The impact of the Kentucky Derby extends well beyond the Twin Spires of Churchill Downs,” Flanery said. “It is an incredibly important time for the City of Louisville and the Commonwealth of Kentucky both culturally, economically and with respect to our time-honored traditions. Both employees and guests are asked to take an active role in following all guidelines. We must all do our part to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience.”
Find out more details on WLKY News.