Photo: Getty Images
For months, the U.S women's national soccer team has been fighting to receive the same pay rate as the men's team.
However, a judge dismissed their claim for equal pay. He did say that their other allegations of discrimination can proceed to trial.
U.S. District Judge R Gary Klausner said he would not allow the equal pay allegations to go forward because the women's national team previously "rejected an offer to be paid under the same pay-to-play structure" as the men's national team.
"The WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players," he wrote in the 32-page decision. "Accordingly, plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA (collective bargaining agreement) worse than the MNT (men's national team) CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT's pay-to-play terms structure when they themselves rejected such a structure."
The team also claims that the U.S Soccer Federation discriminated against them regarding money that was spent on hotel, airfare, medical and training support. This trial will go to federal court in Los Angeles on June 16.
In a statement to CBS News, U.S. Soccer said it looks forward to working with the Women's National Team "to chart a positive path forward to grow the game both here at home and around the world."
"U.S. Soccer has long been the world leader for the women's game on and off the field, and we are committed to continuing that work to ensure our Women's National Team remains the best in the world and sets the standard for women's soccer," they said.
For more information, please read here.