Man Charged in Fatal Trader Joe's Shooting To Be Examined By Psychiatrist


LOS ANGELES (CNS) - A judge today ordered a court-appointed psychiatrist to examine a man accused of engaging in a gunfight with police that resulted in the death of the assistant manager of a Trader Joe's store in Silver Lake, after his attorney declared doubt about his client's mental competency.

Criminal proceedings against Gene Evin Atkins will be suspended in the meantime. He is due back in court on April 15.

The defendant is accused of setting off a chain of events on July 21, 2018, that led to the death of Melyda Maricela Corado, who was fatally shot by a police officer in front of the store in the 2700 block of Hyperion Avenue.

Atkins was ordered last Sept. 3 to stand trial on 51 counts, including murder, attempted murder, attempted murder of a peace officer, assault on a peace officer with a semiautomatic firearm, kidnapping, fleeing a pursuing peace officer's motor vehicle while driving recklessly, grand theft of an automobile, discharge of a firearm with gross negligence, shooting at an occupied motor vehicle, false imprisonment of a hostage and mayhem.

Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore confirmed in 2018 that the bullet that killed Corado was fired by an officer, not Atkins, who surrendered to a SWAT team after about three hours of negotiations following a tense standoff inside the store, where a number of customers and employees were held hostage.

Though he did not shoot Corado, Atkins is charged with her killing under the theory that he set off the chain of events that led to the 27-year- old woman's death, in which he allegedly shot his 76-year-old grandmother and his 17-year-old girlfriend in South Los Angeles, then took his grandmother's car and led police on a wild chase during which he tried to carjack a white Jeep Wrangler at gunpoint at a gas station.

He allegedly fired shots at police during the chase, and again when he got out of the car following a crash and fled into the store, holding customers and employees at gunpoint inside before surrendering hours later.

Photo: Getty Images

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content