Fire officials say a wildfire burning in Canyon Country has burned around 4,300 acres and is only 5% contained after it jumped the Antelope Valley (14) Freeway Friday morning, prompting new evacuations in addition to the 50,000 residents who have already been ordered to leave.
The Tick Fire, broke out just after 1 p.m. on Thursday just off of Tick Canyon Road in Agua Dulce, burning a few hundred acres as Santa Ana winds gusting 45-55 mph near the fire helped to stoke it into a conflagration that consumed more than 3,000 acres, threatening structures and setting several more ablaze. More than 50,000 people were ordered to evacuate on Thursday, with additional mandatory evacuations ordered after the blaze jumped the freeway.
Schools and colleges across the Santa Clarita region and Los Angeles county have been closed on Friday due to the multiple wildfires burning in the area as well as concern over public power safety shutoffs (a full list of school closures is available below).
Over 600 firefighters are currently on scene at the incident after crews worked over night to clean up hot spots across the fire area. Additional resources have been called in from all over the state. Several homes burned overnight after embers that were being carried by the gusting winds landed on roofs, igniting new fires. Fire officials say at least six structures have been lost, but they expect those numbers to go up as their damage assessment teams are able to get out and get a better look at thing.
No injuries have been reported, however, one of the helicopters battling the fire was struck by a bird and had to be taken out of the fight due to windshield damage.
- South of 14 FWY
- East of Rolling Hills Avenue
- North of Placerita Canyon Road
- West of Agua Dulce Canyon Road
Residents can now return to their homes in:
- Sand Canyon: everything south of Fire Station 132 on Sand Canyon and the Sand Canyon offramp is now open.
- North of Soledad between Whites and Sierra Highway.
- As of 6 p.m. Oct 25th., repopulation will begin along Sierra Highway at Linda Vista.
Evacuation Centers and Shelters
- College of the Canyons Gymnasium - 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita
- Overnight stays, cots, showers, food are available
- West Ranch High School - 26255 Valencia Blvd, Santa Clarita
For those with large and small animals
- Castaic Animal Care Center - 31044 North Charlie Canyon Road, Castaic, 91384
- 24 Hour Line: (562) 940-6898
People who have been evacuated by the Tick fire can book free accommodations between Oct. 24 and Nov. 7 with AirBNB. You can find more information on that here.
- The 14 Fwy is closed in both directions from Sand Canyon Rd to Agua Dulce Canyon Rd.
- Sierra Highway is also closed in both directions from Golden Valley to Davenport Road
- Soledad Canyon
- Sand Canyon
- Sierra Hwy
- Sand Canyon Rd
- Sand Canyon Off Ramp
- Soledad Canyon Off Ramp
- Sand Canyon Off Ramp
- SR-14 Fwy
All four Malibu schools in Santa Monica-Malibu USD will be closed on Friday.
- Malibu Elementary School,
- Malibu Middle School,
- Malibu High School
- Webster Elementary School.
Santa Monica schools in the district will be open.
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
All San Fernando Valley schools that are part of the Los Angeles Unified School District are closed Friday.
- Valley View
- Elementary Day School
- Fillmore Unified School District
- Mugu School District
SULPHUR SPRINGS SCHOOL DISTRICT
All schools closed due to the fires.
WILLIAM S. HART DISTRICT SCHOOLS CLOSED
High Schools -
- Academy of the Canyons
- Bowman, Canyon
- Golden Valley
- Learning Post
- West Ranch
Junior Highs -
- Arroyo Seco
- Le Mesa
- Rancho Pico
- Rio Norte
- Sierra Vista
- Golden Oak Adult School
- Independent study
- Sequoia School
NEWHALL SCHOOL DISTRICT:
All schools and district office closed Friday due to fire and air quality.
SAUGUS UNION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT:
District schools closed Friday.
ALL CASTAIC UNION SCHOOLS CLOSED
All schools and the district office closed on Friday, Oct. 25.
COLLEGE OF THE CANYONS
All classes at both campuses canceled.
Campus closed as of 5 p.m. Thursday due to poor air quality.
Other Ventura County Community College District campuses remain open.
CAL ARTS CLOSED
Campus closed on Thursday. A decision about whether to close Friday will be made by 5 a.m. Monitor campus website for updates.
DEPARTMENT OF CATHOLIC SCHOOLS FOR THE ARCHDIOCESE OF LOS ANGELES
- High Schools - Bishop Alemany
- Elementary School -
- De La Salle
- Mary Immaculate
- Our Lady of Grace
- Our Lady of Lourdes
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- Our Lady of the Valley
- Santa Rosa de Lima
- St. Bridget of Sweden
- St. Cyril of Jerusalem
- St. Didacus
- St. Euphrasia
- St. John Eudes
- St. Ferdinand
- St. Joseph the Worker
- St. Mel.
Photo: Getty Images