LADERA RANCH (CNS) - Four junior high school students who each swallowed 10 to 12 cough pills were rushed to a hospital today, prompting Orange County firefighters to warn about the dangers of using medications for recreational reasons.
Firefighters were called at 1:23 p.m. to Ladera Ranch Middle School at 29551 Sienna Parkway when the students went to the school nurse, complaining of rapid heart beat and anxiety, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Tony Bommarito.
Three girls and one boy 13 to 14 years old admitted swallowing Coricidin cough suppressant pills, Bommarito said. A couple of other students said they were ``involved,'' but claimed they didn't take the pills, he said.
The students were taken to Mission Hospital, but their condition was not considered life-threatening, the fire captain said.
``We're warning parents to talk to their kids about the dangers of these types of medications,'' Bommarito said.
Firefighters have seen students take these types of pills in the past to get high after seeing information about it on social media, Bommarito said.
``It can cause death if taken in a high enough quantity,'' Bommarito said. ``They're easy to get and it's an easy high if that's what they're looking for.''