Windy Weather Continues Across Southland

Windy Weather Continues Across Southland

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Gusty winds continued to whip through the Los Angeles area today, and while they will likely die down by mid-afternoon in parts of the Southland, blustery conditions are expected to continue into tomorrow after in some mountain areas.

A wind advisory issued by the National Weather Service will remain in effect until 3 p.m. for the Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area, Santa Clarita Valley, San Fernando Valley and the Los Angeles County coastal region, including downtown Los Angeles.

Forecasters said those areas will likely have winds ranging from 15 to 25 mph, with gusts of about 35 mph expected.

The wind advisory will be in effect until 3 p.m. Saturday in the Los Angeles County mountains, excluding the Santa Monica range. The mountains will likely experience winds of 20 to 35 mph, with some gusts reaching as high as 55 mph, according to the NWS.

Winds have already died down in the San Gabriel Valley, where the wind advisory was allowed to expire. Forecasters noted that while winds in that area are below advisory levels, “local gusts to 30 mph are possible in the foothills through early afternoon.”

Forecasters reminded motorists that gusting winds can make for difficult driving, especially for high-profile vehicles.

Gusting winds on Thursday were credited with uprooting at least two large trees. In West Hollywood, a tree fell onto a house on Rosewood Avenue, but no injuries were reported. Another tree fell across traffic lanes at Magnolia Boulevard and Tujunga Avenue in North Hollywood.

Power outages were also reported Thursday night in the El Segundo, Culver City and West Los Angeles areas.

A power outage overnight in the Del Rey area was attributed to a palm frond blowing into power lines, Department of Water and Power spokeswoman Christy Holland said.

A new outage was reported at 7:28 a.m. in the Atwater Village area, Holland said. The outage affected 2,841 customers and was “most likely cause by debris from the wash basin blowing into conductors,” she said.

The estimated time of restoration was 4 p.m., Holland said.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content