So, you're headed to Oktoberfest.
Simple plans, just going to grab a beer and a wurst.
Wait a second, which wurst do you want to get? Brat? Mett?? Curry???
And what in the world are spaetzles?
There's all sorts of weird words at Oktoberfests, but @ForkReporter is here to help us all get ready.
Let's start with the basics, the wursts...
- Bratwurst - a coarse-ground uncured sausage
- Mettwurst - a spreadable kind of sausage
- Curry Wurst - a sausage sliced and served with ketchup mixed with curry powder
Did you know there's other things to eat at an Oktoberfest? Really!
- Spaetzels - a noodle or dumpling
- Goulash (Mit Spaetzels) - a meat stew or soup with parika (and spaetzels)
- Rouladen - thinly sliced beef rolled around bacon and onions
- Schnitzel - a piece of meat pounded very thin, breaded and pan-fried
Then there's the desserts. Yummm...
- German Chocolate Cake - light chocolate cake with a filling of coconut and pecans
- Black Forest Cake - a kirsch-soaked chocolate cake layered with whipped cream and sour cherries
- Strudel - a flaky pastry made with a paper-thin dough, wrapped around fillings and baked
- Bienenstich, a.k.a. Bee Sting Cake - a dessert made of a sweet yeast dough with a baked-on topping of caramelized almonds and filled with a vanilla custard, buttercream, or cream
If you really wanna get your Oktoberfest orders perfected, go to Cincinnati.com to learn even more words and phrases.
Oh, you don't know where to go for Oktoberfest?!
Well, they are going down all over Southern California this month, and the Orange County Register has already scouted them all out for us.
- Alpine Village Oktoberfest
- Sept. 7-Oct. 27
- Alpine Village, 833 W. Torrance Blvd., Torrance
- Big Bear Lake Oktoberfest
- Sept. 8-Nov. 3.
- Convention Center of Big Bear Lake, 42900 Big Bear Blvd., Big Bear Lake
- Lake Arrowhead Village Oktoberfest
- Sept. 15-Oct. 28
- Lake Arrowhead Village, 28200 State Highway 189, Lake Arrowhead
- Free admission
- OCtoberfest OC
- Sept. 29-Oct. 21
- Newport Dunes, 1131 Back Bay Drive, Newport Beach
- $27.50-$90; parking $15, $20
- Oktoberfest at Fairplex
- Oct. 5-20
- Fairplex, 1101 W. McKinley Ave., Pomona
- Oktoberfest at the Phoenix Club
- Sep 21-Oct. 28
- Tent and beer garden, 1340 S. Sanderson Ave., Anaheim
- Old World Village Oktoberfest
- Sept. 9-Oct 28
- Old World Village, 7561 Center Ave., Huntington Beach
- Free admission Wednesdays and Thursdays; $10-$15 weekends.
And that's just a few of them!