LOS ANGELES (CNS) - The Southland will confront a small chance of rain today and a certainty of it on Wednesday, raising fears of slides in the Cleveland National Forest in Orange County near the site of the recent Holy Fire, forecasters said.
Partly cloudy skies are expected this morning, followed by mostly cloudy skies this afternoon and a 20 percent chance of showers, according to a National Weather Service forecast.
A 30 percent of showers is forecast after midnight, followed by a chance of showers Wednesday morning and a likelihood of rain in the afternoon with a slight chance of thunderstorms, when the chance of measurable precipitation will climb to a high 70 percent, according to the NWS.
Showers are expected to continue Wednesday evening, when a slight chance of thunderstorms will be in the forecast, followed by a small chance of showers after midnight.
Sunny skies are expected Thursday.
#TropicalStormRosa to our south and low pressure to our west. Still some concern for rainfall later Tue-Wed timeframe from the Pac storm system. Taking a look at model data now & will have more details soon. Uncertainty remains on rain amounts, but trends are lower. #CAwx pic.twitter.com/7sXZIwnSff— NWS Los Angeles (@NWSLosAngeles) October 1, 2018
In Orange County, a 30 percent chance of showers will exist after midnight Tuesday, followed by a chance of showers Wednesday morning and a 70 percent chance of it in the afternoon, along with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Showers are likely Wednesday evening, when the chance of measurable precipitation will be 60 percent, along with a slight chance of thunderstorm.
A slight chance of showers will persist in Orange County Thursday morning before mostly sunny skies prevail in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy skies were forecast in L.A. County today, along with highs of 73 on Mount Wilson; 76 in Avalon; 77 at LAX; 78 in Long Beach; 81 in Burbank and Downtown L.A.; 83 in Palmdale and Lancaster; 84 in Pasadena and San Gabriel; and 86 in Woodland Hills. Wednesday's L.A. County temperatures will be several degrees lower -- 9 degrees in Woodland Hills.
Partly cloudy skies are expected in Orange County, along with lower temperatures than Monday: 71 in San Clemente; 72 in Laguna Beach; 74 in Newport Beach; 80 in Fullerton, Anaheim, Irvine and Mission Viejo; and 81 in Yorba Linda. Wednesday's highs will be only a few degrees lower.
Along the coast, a high surf advisory will be in force until 9 a.m.
Photo: Getty Images