FDA Warns That Eating Too Much Black Licorice Can Lead to Overdose


The FDA is proving your mom right, turns out you can have too much candy!

“As it turns out, you really can overdose on candy – or, more precisely, black licorice.”

Turns out the candy contains glycyrrhizin, a chemical that can cause a major drop in potassium levels.

As potassium lowers, heart rhythms fluctuate and blood pressure rises causing swelling, lethargy, even congestive heart failure.

Studies show heart disease and high blood pressure in people over 40 have been linked to black licorice.

Now don't freak out too much, the FDA says you can still eat it just don't exceed eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks.


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content