To celebrate Halloween, we thought it'd be fun to check out what are some of the most common fears and what they mean.
A quick Google search delivered us the motherload with FearOf.net, a site that has not only compiled all the major phobias people suffer from all over the world, it also tells you how to cope with them!
Here are the top 10 phobias listed on the site:
- Arachnophobia – The fear of spiders affects women four times more (48% women and 12% men).
- Ophidiophobia – The fear of snakes. Phobics avoid certain cities because they have more snakes.
- Acrophobia – The fear of heights. Five percent of the general population suffer from this phobia.
- Agoraphobia – The fear of open or crowded spaces. People with this fear often wont leave home.
- Cynophobia – The fear of dogs. This includes everything from small Poodles to large Great Danes.
- Astraphobia – The fear of thunder/lightning AKA Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, Ceraunophobia.
- Claustrophobia – The fear of small spaces like elevators, small rooms and other enclosed spaces.
- Mysophobia – The fear of germs. It is also rightly termed as Germophobia or Bacterophobia.
- Aerophobia – The fear of flying. 25 million Americans share a fear of flying.
- Trypophobia – The fear of holes is an unusual but pretty common phobia.
To see the rest and to see if you can cure them, check out the website HERE.