Tasty Tuesday with @ForkReporter Covers Whiskey & Copper Pots


Whiskey fans, put your weapons down now.  

We are not here to start a fight.  

You are more than welcome to drink your whiskey however you prefer.

However, if you would like to know how adding water to your whiskey may improve the flavor, please enjoy.

When whiskey is in the cask, it sits at about 60 percent alcohol.  When it gets to the bottle, it sits at about 40 percent alcohol.  That dilution, alone, drastically changes the flavor.

So what happens if you dilute it more?

Scientists have discovered that whiskeys with lower alcohol levels actually create a stronger aroma, and thus, a better flavor. 

How?

Some fancy chemistry stuff.

What about whiskeys with higher alcohol concentrations?

You guessed it.  The aroma isn't as strong, diminishing the flavor.

Read the full story at Delish

It is a pretty common dream for home cooks.  A brand new, shinier-than-the-sun set of copper pots.

They are perfect.

WRONG!

THEY ARE POISONOUS!

Yep.

Now, everyone loves copper pots because they a great conductors, meaning they cook food very evenly and their temperature can be easily adjusted.

However, copper pots are also reactive to acidic and alkaline foods.  That means that they can react to foods like tomatoes, lemons, and asparagus, resulting in a metallic taste.

Foods cooked in copper pots can pick up chemical elements, meaning that you are actually consuming the metal of the pot.  If you cook with copper pots often, the effect can be poisonous, and you could develop copper toxicity.

Copper toxicity is characterized by nausea, headaches, vomiting, stomach pains, and a strong metallic taste.  Copper toxicity can also result in heart problems, jaundice, Wilson's disease, and death.

Read the full story at The Daily Meal


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content