High-Speed Rail Opponents Likely to Appeal Ruling


Photo Credit: Getty Images

A judge has ruled that the state can spend about $1.25 billion in  voter-approved bond money, but opponents of California's high-speed rail project say they're likely to appeal the decision. 

Attorney Stuart Flashman says he will recommend that opponents challenge the judge's final ruling that rejected the latest lawsuit targeting California's $64 billion bullet train project. 

Judge Raymond Cadei ruled on Monday that the lawsuit filed by opponents is premature. However, he amended his earlier ruling that would allow opponents to refile their lawsuit with different legal arguments. 

Flashman says their appeal will argue that the judge misunderstood their legal challenge and his rule should be overturned. 

Opponents filed the lawsuit against AB1889 signed into law last year, because they say it unconstitutionally allows high-speed rail bonds to be spent on electrification on 55 miles worth of track extending between South San Jose and San Francisco. 

Cadei had previously ruled that the change is allowed within the outlines of what voters approved in the bill. 

It hasn't been smooth sailing for the California High Speed Rail Authority. While they've won a series of legal challenges to the nascent bullet train project, long-term funding remains uncertain. 


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content