When the Music is too Lit

An Australian woman's battery powered headphones began to spark and eventually caught fire while she was wearing them on a flight.

The woman was asleep and listening to music during the flight between Beijing and Melbourne when she says she heard an explosion.

"As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face..."I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck."

The unidentified woman tore off the headphones and threw them to the floor, noticing they were sparking.

She tried to stamp out the flames when flight attendants rushed over with a bucket of water.

She suffered burns and blisters to her face and hands.

One passenger says they were coughing and choking because the cabin smelt of burnt hair and melted plastic.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) released a statement saying it was most likely the batteries that caught fire, not the head set itself.

A spokesman for the ATSB wouldn't name brands or the types of tech involved but only says the incident happened a month ago.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content