The City of Los Angeles has filed a legal brief to oppose to President Trump’s executive action that restricted immigration from certain countries, even though those restrictions have been temporarily blocked by a federal appeals court in an unrelated lawsuit.
“The brief that we joined today cites important facts from Los Angeles, New York, and multiple other cities that go to the heart of why this order is both unlawful and irresponsible, contrary to the best interest of our city,” L.A. City Attorney Mike Feuer told KFI NEWS Friday.
Earlier this month the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued an order that blocked enforcement of the executive order following a legal challenge filed by the states of Washington and Minnesota.
This brief was filed in a lawsuit in New York titled Darweesh v. Trump, which was filed after two men arriving at John F. Kennedy Airport were detained by U.S. authorities. One of the men had worked as an interpreter and contractor for the U.S. Army in Iraq, according to the case.
“In the short time that the Executive Order was in effect, it stranded students, separated families, disrupted travel and commerce, spread fear among our residents and visitors, and projected a message of intolerance and distrust towards members of our communities,” the brief said.
Feuer said it was important for L.A. to be heard in the New York case because the Washington and Minnesota lawsuit has not yet been fully resolved and the temporary stay could be lifted or reversed.
He said his office has been discussing other legal strategies should the Trump administration issue any new executive orders on immigration.
— Eric Leonard (@LeonardFiles)