An LAUSD report says 21 teachers illegally required students to purchase school supplies violating California law.
State law says California public schools are not allowed to charge for:
- Science lab equipment or supplies
- PE uniforms required to take the class
- Participating in sports teams
- Attending graduation ceremonies
- Books used in class
- Photography or art class supplies
- Attending summer school
- Graduation Attire (if required for commencement ceremony)
Director of Educational Equity Compliance Julie Hall-Panameno admits the LAUSD was made aware of the concerns but "educating administrators can be confusing in the district with 13,000 schools—the second largest in the nation."