The IRS admits it is overtaxed this year, still trying to dig out from last year's tax filings.
- According to CBS News, at one point, the IRS was receiving 1500 phone calls per second as they head into Monday's tax deadline.
- Last week, the IRS reported that only about 20% of callers have gotten through to live agents this month.
- That's actually an improvement over 2021 when only 11% of calls were answered.
- As of right now, more than 3 million returns from last year are still being processed.
- IRS officials blame the backlog primarily on staff shortages and warned it could delay refund checks getting out.
- Have you experienced a long wait on hold (or not getting through at all) when you've called the IRS?
Photo Credit: Getty Images