- Dr. Jamie Koufman, Director of The Voice Institute of New York appeared in a great segment on KABC-TV about how if have a cough, hoarse, scratchy throat or constantly feel like you have a cold coming on - it may actually be 'silent reflux'.
Koufman told KABC with silent reflux, neither the lower valve or upper valve is working properly-
"The problem with the idea that it's asthma or a cold is that the symptoms don't go away. Even after the asthma is treated they continue to have symptoms."
"So what's in the stomach is in the esophagus, is in the throat, and it sits there at night,"
GERD VS SILENT REFLUX
- GERD shows up more as hoarseness, chronic cough, and noisy breathing.
- Eating too much right before bed
- People sleep on a 45 degree incline
- Leave four hours between your last meal and bed
- Avoid junk food, soda and chocolate milk
Elimination Diets are suggested by many doctors.
- You eliminate acid forming foods as well as those that are difficult to digest.
- Spicy foods
- Koufman says certain medications may be helpful to some people and they are called H2 antagonists like Pepcid, or Zantac are also safe and effective.