As school budgets continue to shrink, teachers are forced to come up with new creative ways to pay for classroom supplies.
- Lately, more and more teachers have been turning to crowdfunding.
- Teachers are using sites like GoFundMe or DonorsChoose to raise money for expensive classroom supplies or even field trips.
- Many teachers say they spend more than $1,000 a year on classroom supplies, most of which is never reimbursed.
- Since 2015, the amount of money teachers spent on school supplies out of pocket has increased by 23%, while budgets have stayed the same or even shrunk.
- 96% - think about that...nearly every teacher in the country spends their own money on supplies.
- With the rising costs, teachers have few options.
STATE AUDITORS WARNING
- State auditors have sent a warning to teachers about crowdfunding for classroom supplies. Their biggest concern is that these sites on legitimate.
DonorsChoose has more than 76,000 projects seeking funding for school supplies currently.