WHAT WE KNOW
- Heartbreaking story - 7 year-old Cisco Galvez died of a condition related to the flu and his mom wanted to warn other parents.
- Juanita Vidana (Cisco's mom) it started with breathing problems so they went to the E.R. in San Bernardino.
- Vidana said doctors thought it was related to Cisco's asthma. He was then treated and released. But his condition worsened. Cisco had a fever, extreme fatigue and a terrible stomach ache.
- Her doctor said it was myocarditis, a heart condition which often results from the flu, according to Dr. Adrian Cotton at Loma Linda University Health.
- This is the worst flu season in 15 to 20 years. In just a few weeks, it's now widespread in almost every state in the U.S.
A 12-month-old baby is one of 34 new flu deaths recently reported in San Diego, bringing this season’s total to 45.