This is so disturbing!
A farmer's wife was hospitalized after she awoke to a mouse eating her eyeball. She was one of many victims of the unprecedented pestilence, which has seen millions of the rodents wreck havoc on communities from Brisbane to Melbourne.
According to NYPost there have been numerous incidents of these creatures invading personal space. In another stomach-churning incident, a farmer felt a mouse run across his face as he slept. He wasn't able to go back to sleep until he caught that mouse in a trap he put under his bed.
"I felt a tickly furry sensation as it crawled from behind my ears across my cheek. It made my skin crawl. My hair stood up and I jumped out of bed." Narromine's Mick Harris Told the UK's Times of the revolting wakeup call.
His wife experienced a similar horror when she woke up to a mouse chewing on her wedding finger.
"We've got two young kids. It does make you worry that when they wake up crying it's because they have a mouse in their bed." said Harris
This mouse plague is not only disgusting but it is dangerous. They have the potential to spread disease. The mice have also caused hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of crop damage, sparked fires by gnawing through electrical cords, and even begun cannibalizing themselves. Aussies are calling for the scourge to be declared a "natural disaster" so they can collect insurance payouts for any mouse-induced damage, which isn't covered in many cases.
Outside of the disturbing disgust that the mice create, they could also give rise to a plague of venomous snakes looking to capitalize on the glut. There are about 100 species of venomous snakes in Australia that are venomous and deadly to humans.
In an attempt to prevent a prolonged "plague event" the New South Wales government has procured 5,000 liters of the rodenticide bromadiolone, which is currently prohibited for agricultural use nationwide.