BEVERLY HILLS (CNS) - A judge Thursday permitted an attorney for a woman who alleges that Warren Beatty sexually abused her when she was a teen to step down from the case.
Without explaining his reasons, plaintiff's attorney Michael Reck previously filed court papers with Beverly Hills Superior Court Judge Edward Moreton Jr. seeking permission to withdraw as the woman's lawyer. On Thursday, Reck got his wish.
"The motion to be relieved as counsel filed by Michael Reck ... is granted," a minute order prepared by the judge's clerk stated.
In a sworn declaration, Reck said that his office communicated multiple times via telephone, zoom and email correspondence with the plaintiff regarding his reasons for filing the motion.
"I will ensure that any necessary paperwork is completed and that my client is notified of my withdrawal," Reck stated.
There was nothing in the minute order indicating whether the woman has hired a replacement lawyer.
The suit, filed Nov. 7, alleges sexual battery and assault and a violation of the state Penal Code. The plaintiff said she was a teen and that Beatty, now 86, was in his 30s when he allegedly groomed her and lured her into a sexual relationship in the 1970s.
"When plaintiff was just a 14-year-old child, (Beatty) used his role, status and power as a well-known Hollywood star to gain access to, groom, manipulate, exploit and coerce sexual contact from her over the course of several months ...," the suit states.
The alleged abuse continued until late 1973, according to the suit.
Beatty's career spans more than 60 years, with 14 Academy Award nominations. He won an Oscar for best director for the 1981 film "Reds."