Swanson Funeral Home in Flint, Michigan has been shut down after state inspectors discovered disgusting and unsanitary conditions.
Michigan’s Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) suspended the home's license as well as the individual mortuary license of its manager O’Neil D. Swanson, II.
- Maggots on the floor of the facility's garage and garage door
- Unrefrigerated corpses being stored in the garage, some for more than 5 months
- Blood and fluid stained casket pillows in the hallway
- Repeated violations of Michigan's health and safety laws
- Unsanitary preparation room with no embalming supplies
Swanson could get fined up to $10,000 for each violation, plus jail time if he's found guilty.
LARA’s Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau Director Julia Dale told CBS Detroit:
"Michigan residents trust funeral home directors, owners, and their establishments to follow the law especially when dealing with the death of a loved one. We will continue to aggressively hold every funeral home in Michigan to the highest standards of public health and safety when providing final arrangements.”
This is equal parts sad and disgusting. We don't even want to think about the smell in there.