Fork Reporter, Neil Saavedra, joins us for #TastyTuesday to talk about National ceviche day and Taco Bell unveiling their new Big Cheez-It Tostada and Crunchwraps.
GaS Ceviche Restaurants Picks!
Pablitos Kitchen 3803 W Burbank Blvd, Burbank, CA 91505 (818) 859-7755
Natalie Peruvian Seafood Restaurant 5759 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (323) 463-8340
Los Balcones 1360 Vine St, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (323) 871-9600
Easy Shrimp Ceviche (Ceviche de Camarón)! It’s bursting with flavor and perfectly refreshing. Recipe from CookingClassy
Serve it as a chip dip or as a main entree over crispy tostada shells or rice. Ceviche Recipe Ingredients Shrimp: I like to use medium shrimp and dice it small so everything is more uniform in size. It’s especially best to cut small if serving as a dip.
Limes: You’ll need about 3 limes.
Lemons: You’ll need about 2 lemons.
Roma tomatoes: Other varieties of fresh garden grown tomatoes would be extra delicious too.
Red onions: Yellow onion may be substituted if needed.
Cilantro: Feel free to add more to taste, or cut back a little for a milder flavor.
Jalapeno: If you like it less spicy remove the seeds.
Salt and pepper: Add to taste.
Cucumber: This ingredient is optional but it adds a nice crunch so I prefer it.
Avocado: Not always included in ceviche but I think it’s a must. It’s such a delicious addition.
How to Make Ceviche
1. Boil water in pot, fill bowl of ice water: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill up a medium bowl with ice water, set aside.
2. Cook shrimp: Add shrimp to boiling water and let cook just until pink and opaque, about 1 minute.
3. Drain, chill and chop shrimp: Drain shrimp in a colander then transfer to ice water to cool for a few minutes. Drain well then chop shrimp into small pieces (about 1/2-inch).
4. Toss shrimp with fresh ingredients: In a medium bowl (you can use the same bowl) combine shrimp, lime juice, lemon juice, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Marinate: Transfer to refrigerator and let rest 1 hour.
6. Add last few ingredients: Toss in cucumber and avocado and serve. It’s delicious with tortilla chips or over tostada shells.