Happy Lunar New Year! Or, as many people call it, Chinese New Year.
Considering the holiday, there's a good chance that you're gonna go out and buy some Chinese food today.
(Or, if you want to be a show off like @ForkReporter , you make it yourself.)
If you want your meal to be as authentic as possible, there's a ton of favorite "Chinese food" dishes that aren't Chinese food at all.
- Crab Wontons - They may be tasty, but they have cheese. Since most people in China are lactose intolerant, this clearly isn't authentic.
- General Tso's Chicken - What? A military leader wasn't a cook?
- Chop Suey - Apparently it started out when a Chinese cook whipped it up as a spit towards Americans and it stuck...
- Pu Pu Platter - It has beef teriyaki, which isn't a Chinese thing...
- Sweet n Sour Pork/Chicken - Sorry, but it has Southern roots.
- Egg Rolls - They just aren't Chinese.
- Beef & Broccoli - Big surprise, but Western broccoli doesn't grow in the East.
- Fortune Cookies - Want a real Chinese dessert? Eat an orange.
Read the full story at Eater Washington DC