Workers at Sonic fled the restaurant earlier this month when they found something unexpected behind the deep fryer.
The entire staff was spooked by a snake. They abandoned the shop and called the cops, describing what they thought was a rattler, known to be among the venomous snakes in Georgia.
According to Huffington Post, the snake turned out to be a 3.5-foot-long ball python, a nonvenomous constrictor snake.
“I ended up catching it with a broom handle,” said Lt Matthew Wislon of the Brunswick Police Department, “I just got it where I could secure its head. Then I put him in a paper bag and carried him out.”
Wilson said he suspects the restaurant left its back door open and the snake slithered in for the same reason as the customers: It was hungry and thirsty.
Wilson, who has a ball python of his own, said the Sonic snake has a new home with a snake-loving friend.