Cake Decorating Dust Linked To Heavy Metal Poisoning In Kids, CDC Warns


They make cakes and cupcakes sparkle, but popular decorative glitters can contain toxic metals that aren't safe to eat.

  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that the products known as "luster dust" aren't all meant to be eaten even if they're labeled "nontoxic."
  • Some should be used for display only (like a cake topper that's removed).
  • The CDC cited one such report in 2018 of six children becoming sick after a birthday party, with symptoms including vomiting, that were consistent with heavy metal poisoning. 
  • They all ate a bakery cake with a thick layer of frosting mixed with a "gold dust."
  • A public advisory from the Food and Drug Administration also warns about the potential hazards of eating decorative glitters.

Photo Credit: Getty Images


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content