LAFD: Man Using Medical Oxygen Dies in Accident Involving Stove in Garage

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - A 73-year-old man who was using medical oxygen died today in an accident that involved the use of a portable stove inside a garage in the Manchester Square area near south Los Angeles, authorities said.

Firefighters sent to the 1600 block of West 79th Street on a report of a fire at 10:50 a.m. found light smoke showing from the eaves of the detached garage, but no fire, said Margaret Stewart of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

“Firefighters located a 73-year-old male sadly beyond medical help and pronounced (him) dead on scene,'' Stewart said.

Stewart said the preliminary investigation indicated that the death was “accidental ... due to the use of a stove inside the garage in conjunction with medical oxygen in use by the victim. The resulting combustion caused his death.''

The man's name was withheld, pending notification of his relatives.

Photo: Getty Images

Copyright 2021, City News Service, Inc.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content