Massachusetts Man Dies After Eating too Much Black Licorice

A study published in the new issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, explains the case of a 54-year-old construction worker who died after overdosing on black licorice.

The unidentified Massachusetts man ate nearly a bag and a half of licorice every day for several weeks, which led to his heart stopping.

According to lead author Dr. Neel Butala, that's because licorice contains glycyrrhizic acid, which can cause dangerously low potassium levels and electrolyte imbalances.

In fact, the FDA warns licorice lovers that eating just two ounces of the candy a day for two weeks could result in a heart rhythm problem, especially in people over 40.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content