Simon Cowell, one of the judges on America's Got Talent has some important advice for you.
Cowell, 60 was rushed to the hospital when the Electric bicycle, (the cool kids call it the E-bike) when he broke his back in several places while testing his new e-bike in the courtyard of his Malibu home. Simon is doing well, he is up and walking around.
- So, when you buy or try, let's read the instructions for safety.
- Cowell underwent a six hour surgery, SIX HOURS, that included placing a metal rod in his back.
THE E-BIKE IS NOT YOUR DAD'S BIKE
An e-bike has an electric motor to help riders move along with less pedaling effort, which is helpful for rocky or uphill rides. But remember e-bikes vary greatly in speed, with some going as fast as 60 mph, similar to an electric motorcycle.
Forgetting to read the manual isn't an uncommon problem. Riders should have an understanding of what the torque of their e-bike is.
SOME TIPS FOR YOU AND YOU E-BIKE
- Read the instructions - ALL OF THEM
- Wear a helmet
- Keep everything away from chain; your clothes, shoelaces, pants - you get it!
- Easy on the throtte - these babies got torque
- Be a defensive rider, practice situational awareness
- Take your time, to get to know the bike and the power before taking it on the busy streets
More on this story at People.com