Photo: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES (CNS) - National Guard troops will leave the Los Angelesarea as soon as this evening, one week after being deployed to assist inmanaging protests and scattered looting, it was reported today.
A source who was not authorized to speak publicly told the Los AngelesTimes that the pullout could be completed later Sunday, while a secondsource said a small number of Guard personnel would remain to protect some key
L.A. assets, but that most have already returned to their bases.
A spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department said she wasunaware of the reported decision.
“That (information of the pullout) comes out of the mayor's office,''said Officer Rosario Cervantes of the LAPD's Media Relations Section. “Wehaven't heard anything.''
A representative for the mayor's office could not be reached forimmediate comment.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti called for the Guard on May 30 afterheated protests in the Fairfax District that ended with some burglaries andthefts by people police believe were not associated with widespreaddemonstrations against racism and police brutality.
Daily protests have continued since then, but with no looting or otherviolence reported for the past several days.