Man Dies After He Took Chloroquine to Prevent Getting COVID-19

Photo: Getty Images

Well, we've never thought we'd have to report this, but an Arizona man has died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate.

The man and his wife believed that this would protect them from getting the coronavirus. The man's wife is currently under critical care.

The form of chloroquine phosphate that the couple consumed was not the medication form of chloroquine that's been used to treat malaria in humans. Instead, it was the ingredient used as a parasite treatment for fish.

According to NBC News, the man's wife said she watched President Trump's televised briefings talking about the potential benefits of chloroquine phosphate. There has no been drug that has been proven to treat COVID-19. but early research suggests it could be useful as therapy.

Apparently the name "chloroquine" stood out to the man's wife because she had previously used it to treat her koi fish.

"I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"

The couple are both in their 60's and are at a higher risk if they came down with the virus. So they thought they could protect themselves by adding the substance with some liquid so they could drink it.

"We were afraid of getting sick," she said.

But after 20 minutes, they became extremely sick and felt dizzy and hpt.

"I started vomiting," the woman told NBC News. "My husband started developing respiratory problems and wanted to hold my hand."

She called 911. "I was having a hard time talking, falling down."

Shortly after emergency responders took them to the hospital, her husband died.

The man's wife has asked for her and her husband's name not be released for privacy reasons.

For more information, please read here.

To hear John and Ken's reaction, please listen below.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content