Former USC Gynecologist Tyndall Surrenders Medical License


LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Former USC campus gynecologist George Tyndall, who is charged with sexually assaulting 16 patients, has officially surrendered his license to practice medicine, the Medical Board of California announced today.

According to the board, Tyndall's license surrender became official Thursday and was done in response to sexual-misconduct allegations the board was reviewing involving five patients.

``The incidents outlined in the board's accusation against George Tyndall are egregious violations,'' Kimberly Kirchmeyer, the medical board's executive director, said in a statement. ``On behalf of California consumers, the board achieved the highest level of patient protection with the surrender of Tyndall's license.''

Tyndall was already under a judge's order not to practice medicine while he awaits trial on 18 felony counts of sexual penetration and 11 felony counts of sexual battery by force. Prosecutors said the alleged victims range in age from 17 to 29, and the alleged assaults occurred between 2009 and 2016 while Tyndall worked at the campus health center. The state Medical Board had also previously suspended his license.

Tyndall could face a maximum of 53 years in state prison if convicted as charged.

After a lengthy investigation, Tyndall was arrested June 26. He was released from jail on bond about two months later.

Tyndall has been accused of sexually abusing hundreds of patients during his decades-long career at USC. Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore said in June that a dozen LAPD detectives have investigated assault allegations by more than 350 women and presented more than 130 potential cases to the District Attorney's Office.

Hundreds of former patients have sued Tyndall and USC, accusing the university of failing to respond to allegations of abuse by the campus gynecologist dating back decades. On June 13, a federal judge in Los Angeles gave preliminary approval to a $215 million class-action settlement with some of the plaintiffs.

Hundreds of other women are still suing the university and Tyndall in state court. Attorneys for those alleged victims have criticized the federal class-action settlement, calling it inadequate.

The lawsuits contend the university received numerous complaints of Tyndall's alleged sexually abusive behavior, dating back to at least 1988, and actively and deliberately concealed his actions. Attorneys for some former patients allege that following an internal investigation of complaints against Tyndall in 2016, the university paid Tyndall a substantial financial settlement so he would quietly resign.

USC officials have denied any cover-up.

In an open letter to faculty and staff in May 2018, USC Provost Michael Quick said top administrators did not know about the complaints until 2016.

``It is true that our system failed, but it is important that you know that this claim of a cover-up is patently false,'' Quick wrote. ``We would never knowingly put students in harm's way.''


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content