Jeffrey Epstein, Accused Sex Trafficker, Dies By Suicide

Law enforcement officials in New York City said Saturday morning that accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein has died from an apparent suicide. The news comes just two weeks after the multi-millionaire was placed on suicide watch after he was found nearly unconscious in his cell with injuries to his neck.

According to a report from the New York Post, a gurney carrying a body that resembled Epstein was removed from the Manhattan Correctional Center early Saturday morning at around 7:30 a.m. The ambulance was bound for New York Downtown hospital.

Epstein had been on a 24/7 suicide watch following a suicide attempt by Epstein on July 25 according to a report from ABC News. He was taken off suicide watch shortly before his attempt according to the report.

Attorney General William Barr said in a statement the FBI would be investigating Epstein's suicide.

"I was appalled to learn that Jeffrey Epstein was found dead early this morning from an apparent suicide while in federal custody," Barr said in a statement. "Mr. Epstein's death raises serious questions that must be answered. In addition to the FBI's investigation, I have consulted with the Inspector General who is opening an investigation into the circumstances of Mr. Epstein's death."

Epstein, 66, was being held without bail pending trial on child sex-trafficking charges. The former financier pleaded 'Not Guilty' to charges of sex-trafficking girls as young as 14. A federal indictment says Epstein "sexually exploited and abused dozens of minor girls at his homes" located in Manhattan and Palm Beach, Florida. Some of Epstein's victims were paid to recruit other underage girls, the indictment adds. He was arrested on July 6 in Teterboro, New Jersey by law enforcement as he returned from Paris on a private jet.

On Friday, thousands of documents were unsealed in Epstein's case, revealing dozens of high-profile names that included a former senator, governor of New Mexico, and longtime professor at MIT.

He faced up to 45 years in prison if convicted.

Photo: New York State Sex Offender Registry