The suspect in the shooting at an El Paso, Texas, Walmart last week reportedly surrendered to police shortly after the incident and told them he had been targeting Mexicans during his rampage, it was revealed on Friday.
Patrick Crusius, 21, is accused of opening fire after marching into an El Paso Walmart and killing 22 people, injuring 26 more. According to an arrest warrant, filed by El Paso police following the attack, law enforcement officials spotted Crusius at an intersection near the El Paso Walmart where the attack took place. According to an arrest warrant obtained by the Washington Post, El Paso Detective Adrian Garcia wrote officers arrested Crosius after he emerged from a car that had been stopped at an intersection's left turn lane with his hands raised and telling officers, "I'm the shooter."
Crusius waived his Miranda Rights and agreed to speak with detectives about the attack, saying he had been targeting Mexicans after entering the Walmart, Garcia wrote in the arrest warrant. Crusius has remained in jail since last weeks attack and has been cooperating with authorities. Crusius also told authorities that he waived his right to an attorney and had traveled from Allen, Texas, located near Dallas, while carrying his assault rifles and multiple magazines.
"The defendant stated once inside the store he opened fire using his AK-47 shooting multiple innocent victims," Garcia wrote.
Law enforcement officials also believe a four-page manifesto published online shortly before last week's attack is believed to have been authored by Crusius. The manifesto decried a "Hispanic invasion of Texas"
Twenty-two people were killed in the attack last week and another 26 injured. Many of those who were killed had Hispanic surnames and eight were reportedly Mexican nationals. Prosecutors have indicated they plan to seek the death penalty for Crusius and are pursuing a civil rights hate crime investigation as well as domestic terrorism charges.
Photo: Getty Images